Home

Home

Our History

Murrieta Hot Springs

Murrieta Hot Springs

Over the Years

Known for its natural hot springs, Murrieta Hot Springs was once a health spa and resort owned by Fritz Guenther. Guenther, a German immigrant, moved to New York with his brother after escaping the Franco-Prussian War. In the year 1902, after moving cross-country, Guenther purchased Murrieta Hot Springs. In the following 30 years, the Guenther family developed the Hot Springs into the ideal world-class resort and spa. In the mid-1900’s, Guenther sold Murrieta Hot Springs. Calvary Chapel of Costa Mesa purchased the resort in 1995. Chuck Smith, founder of Calvary Chapel, led a huge restoration project. Wanting to protect and maintain the historicity of the facility, they salvaged as much of the grounds as possible. Murrieta Hot Springs Christian Conference Center has been up and running for almost twenty years now “refreshing the people of God” by offering an oasis for Christians in the greater Southern California area and beyond. The peaceful atmosphere allows for those who come to forget about their cares and retreat with the Lord.

  • 1844
  • 1902
  • 1911
  • 1844 – 1887

    Test Sub
    • 1844 - Mexican Government awarded Temecula Rancho to Felix Valdez
    • 1848 - Fritz Gunther born Christmas day, in Magdeburg Germany, he had a brother and two sisters
    • 1852 - Louis Vignes purchases Temecula Rancho
    • 1870 - Gunther brothers left Germany for US
    • 1873 - Juan Murrieta, Francisco Zanjurjo, Domingo Pujol purchases from Louis Vignes
    • 1883 - Moses Perin purchases from Juan Murrieta
    • 1884 - Murrieta sold 14,000 acres to a syndicate which laid out townsite called Murrieta after Don Juan. He retained 1,000 acres for his own syndicate changed the name of Temecula hot springs to Murrieta Hot Springs
    • 1887 - Pasadena Syndicate purchases from Moses Perin
  • 1902 -1908

    • 1902 - Fritz Guenther purchases from a Mrs. Lindsay
    • 1904 - Mineral Mud Bath House, built in 1903, construction material in foreground. Windmill stood proudly next to building proiving fresh, sweet water to a well
    • 1904 - Fritz Guenther met visitors from LA at the Sante Fe train station in Murrieta twice a day and transported them in his open Reliance bus
    • 1908 - California Hotel was built to keep up with the demand of the ever increasing popularity of the hot springs. Each Room was equipped with steam heat and modern conveniences of a first-class resort
  • 1911 – 1940

    • 1911 - Mud Bath House, this was advertised as a place where the people could leave all of their ailments in the mud. Many new buildings had been added, attendants catered to guests, and over the next several decades, the resort became famous. Physicians, including a Dr Mudd., resided on-site and were availble to guests
    • 1912 - Memorial Hall Built. Was dedicated to the memory of Fritz Guenther who had recently died
    • 1940 - Word had it that bootleg liquor flowed at the hot springs from a source in French Valley. It is believed that there was a speakeasy in the cellar under the dining room and kitchen. Moveable panels in the Submarine malt shop hid slot machines that were use up into the 1940's
Refreshing God's People

Our History Gallery